Re: release plan for mdadm

On 1/27/21 6:39 AM, Tkaczyk, Mariusz wrote:
> Hi Jes,
>
> It's been a while since last mdadm release. Mdadm-4.2 release that was
> mentioned back in July does not happened yet. It's getting messy to
> manage mdadm across multiple distributions.
>
> Also, not all OSVs are willing to cherry-pick the patches, especially
> for stable project - like mdadm, so only critical bugfixes are landing
> in the distros.
> As a result - new OSes has various forks of mdadm-4.1 and the difference
> is growing with every backported patch. It leads us to situation where
> those forks may have own bugs, caused by many missing bugfixes or wrongly
> resolved merge conflicts.
> To be honest - it becomes more and more problematic for us to track all
> fixes in different supported distros.
>
> We are searching for solutions for those problems and we are counting on
> your support:
> Short term - is there any way that we can help you to release next version
> of mdadm soon?
>
> Long term - what do you think about smaller, more frequent releases of
> mdadm? Maybe twice a year is an option (similar to RedHat/Ubuntu
> schedule)? That would be better for us and for vendors. They will need
> to follow upstream instead resolving bugs reported by us or community.
>
> The benefits will be gained by everyone. User will get up-to-date
> software much faster, with minimal vendor input and modifications.
> Mdadm bugs will be predictable across distros. We could help with
> testing IMSM and basic functionality of native metadata.

Hi Mariusz,

Sorry for the slow response. Our daughter was born in late December and
I was on paternity leave through Feb 5, so still catching up. I also
switched teams at work back in July so my focus was shifted.

I'd very much like to see a release, and we should do one quick. Doing
more regular releases will also make it easier to ship them, so I am not
against that at all.

I am not aware of anything major pending right now, so if we can get
focus on any pending patches and get them in over the next week or two,
then I can cut an -rc and we can do a release soon. Especially if you
can help out regression testing the -rc candidate(s).

Cheers,
Jes