Re: partitions & filesystems (was "Re: ???root account locked??? after removing one RAID1 hard disc")

Am 30.11.20 um 23:31 schrieb antlists:
On 30/11/2020 21:49, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 30.11.20 um 21:51 schrieb antlists:
On 30/11/2020 20:05, David T-G wrote:
You don't see any "filesystem" or, more correctly, partition in your

   fdisk -l

output because you have apparently created your filesystem on the entire device (hey, I didn't know one could do that!).

That, actually, is the norm. It is NOT normal to partition a raid array

it IS normal for several reasons

* you may end with a replacement disk which is subtle
   smaller and hence you normally make the partition
   a little smaller then the device

And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Partitioning your array doesn't have any effect on whether or not said array uses the whole disk or not.

* in case of SSD you reserve some space for
   better wear-levelling

And putting a partition table in your array does exactly what to help that?

* in case you ever need to reinstall your OS you
   want your data not in the same filesystem

Which is why I partition my disk. I use one raid for the OS, and another for my data.
but than "fdisk -l" shows partitions - what the hell.....
that above you responded to has no partitions but the whole drive for the RAID