Re: “root account locked” after removing one RAID1 hard disc

On 30-11-2020 11:31, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 30.11.20 um 10:27 schrieb antlists:
I read that a single RAID1 device (the second is missing) can be accessed without any problems. How can I do that?

When a component of a raid disappears without warning, the raid will refuse to assemble properly on next boot. You need to get at a command line and force-assemble it

since when is it broken that way?

from where should that commandlien come from when the operating system itself is on the for no vali dreason not assembling RAID?

luckily the past few years no disks died but on the office server 300 kilometers from here with /boot, os and /data on RAID1 this was not true at least 10 years

* disk died
* boss replaced it and made sure
  the remaining is on the first SATA
  port
* power on
* machine booted
* me partitioned and added the new drive

hell it's and ordinary situation for a RAID that a disk disappears without warning because they tend to die from one moment to the next

hell it's expected behavior to boot from the remaining disks, no matter RAID1, RAID10, RAID5 as long as there are enough present for the whole dataset

the only thing i expect in that case is that it takes a little longer to boot when soemthing tries to wait until a timeout for the missing device / componenzt

The behavior here in the post is rather debian specific. The initrd from debian refuses to continue  if it cannot get all partitions mentioned in the fstab. On top i suspect an error in the initrd that the OP is using which leads to the raid not coming up with a single disk.

The problems from the OP have imho not much to do with raid, and a lot with debian specific issues/perhaps a mistake from the OP

Cheers

Rudy