Re: pls help/review: fed 32 | LVM over raid1, on SSDs & spinning disks

On 06/10/2020 18:00, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 06.10.20 um 18:07 schrieb linux-raid@xxxxxxxx:
Is it possible to get the 2MiB "bios boot" partition into raid1?
This seems to be the most vulnerable part of my setup.
should be no problem when you have the same partitioning on all disks, "BIOS boot" normally have no writes at boot time

RAID1 is handeled like a single disk at early boot

the only thing you need to do manually is install the bootloaer on all disks and don#t forget repeat it after replace one

Very much so ...

the only thing i am not sure is the partition type, until now my setups are MBR and sda1 is a RAID1 over all 4 disks

And the raid type. Is the bios boot accessed as part of the boot sequence - sounds like it must be :-) ?

Anything that might be accessed by something *before* linux is loaded, needs to be a 1.0 superblock. (I won't recommend 0.9 as it's obsolete.) That way, provided you ONLY access it to read, you can access the filesystem directly and bypass the raid by referencing the partition eg /dev/sda1. Then once linux has booted and mounted /dev/md1, any changes will be made to both partitions.

Cheers,
Wol