Re: Best way to add caching to a new raid setup.

It should be worth noting that if you buy 2 exactly the same SSD's at
the same time and use them in a mirror they are very likely to be
wearing about the same.

I am hesitant to go much bigger on disks, especially since the $$/GB
really does not change much as the disks get bigger.

And be careful of adding on a cheap sata controller as a lot of them work badly.

Most of my disks have died from bad blocks causing a section of the
disk to have some errors, or bad blocks on sections causing the array
to pause for 7 seconds.  Make sure to get a disk with SCTERC settable
(timeout when bad blocks happen, otherwise the default timeout is a
60-120seconds, but with it you can set it to no more than 7 seconds).
 In the cases where the entire disk did not just stop and is just
getting bad blocks in places, typically you have time as only a single
section is getting bad blocks, so in this case having sections does
help.    Also note that mdadm with 4 sections like I have will only
run a single rebuild at a time as mdadm understands that the
underlying disks are shared, this makes replacing a disk with 1
section or 4 sections basically work pretty much the same.  It does
the same thing on the weekly scans, it sets all 4 to scan, and it
scans 1 and defers the other scan as disks are shared.

It seems to be a disk completely dying is a lot less often than badblock issues.