Re: RAID types & chunks sizes for new NAS drives

On 23/06/2020 02:45, John Stoffel wrote:
In any case, make sure you get NAS rated disks, either the newest WD
RED+ (or is it Blue?)  In any case, make sure to NOT get the SMR
(Shingled Magnetic Recording) format drives.  See previous threads in
this group, as well as the arstechnica.com discussion about it all
that they disk last month.  Very informative.

I'd just avoid WD completely. They advertise REDs as raid-capable, and they are (mostly) SMR and unfit for purpose. BLUEs are supposedly the "desktop performance" drives, so sticking them in a raid is not advised anyway. But you've only got to start hammering your BLUE performance drive, and performance would be abysmal. If you are going for WD then RED PRO is what you need.

At least Seagate don't advertise unsuitable drives - DON'T touch Barracudas! They say Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro for raid, both are fine to the best of my knowledge.

And nobody seems to buy Toshiba but - I think it's the N300 - they do a raid range as well.

Don't buy REDs or Barracudas or other known-problematic drives. They will appear to work fine until there's a problem, at which point they will bork the raid and lose your data. A good raid drive will tell the raid it's failed and let the raid recover. These problem drives DON'T tell the raid what's going on, and by the time the raid finds out it's too late.

Cheers,
Wol