Re: help requested for mdadm grow error

On 25/05/2020 22:45, John Stoffel wrote:
This is Debian Buster, and it's he's upto date with debian packages,
he's almost certainly in a stable setup.  Now maybe we need to talk
with the Debian package maintainer for mdadm and ask them to upgrade,
or maybe why they haven't updated recently.

If you're going to do that, I think you need to get the kernel maintainer to upgrade that as well...

As I see it, the CAUSE of the problem is that we have an old-but-updated frankenkernel. It doesn't matter whether mdadm is contemporary with the original pre-franken-state kernel or contemporary with the new up-to-date frankenkernel, the fact of the matter is that the relationship between mdadm and the kernel isn't regression tested beyond making sure that arrays assemble and run correctly.

Hence the inevitable screw-ups when users try to administer their arrays.

Cheers,
Wol