Re: raid6check extremely slow ?

> I'm running raid6check on a 12 TB (8 x 2 TB harddisks)
> RAID6 array and wonder why it is so extremely slow...
> It seems to be reading the disks only a about 400 kB/s,
> which results in an estimated time of some 57 days!!!
> to complete checking the array.  The system is basically idle, there
> is neither any significant CPU load nor any other I/o (no to the
> tested array, nor to any other storage on this system).
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Try checking with iostat -x to see if one disk is performing worse than the other ones. This sometimes happens and can indicate a failure that the normal SMART/smartctl stuff can't identify. If you see a utilisation of one of the disks at 100%, that's the bastard. Under normal circumstances, you probably won't be able to return that, since it "works". There's a quick fix for that, though. Just unplug the disk, plug it into a power cable, let it spin up and then sharpy twist it 90 degees a few times, and it's all sorted out and you can return it ;)

Vennlig hilsen

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk