Re: raid6check extremely slow ?

Yup. That's why I said "the disk is healthy" :-)

> Now, I do not know, maybe there are other
> things we overlook, or maybe not.
>
> I do not know either how likely is that some
> situations will occur to reduce performances.
>
> I would prefer a solution which will *only*
> improve, without any possible drawback.

Wouldn't we all. But if the *normal* case shows an appreciable
improvement, then I'm inclined to write off a "shouldn't happen" case as
"tough luck, shit happens".

> Again, this does not mean this approach is
> wrong, actually is to be considered.
>
> In the end, I would like also to understand
> why the lock / unlock is so expensive.

Agreed.

>> If the system is under heavy pressure, chances are there'll be a fair few
>> stripes needing rechecking, but even at it's worst it'll only be as bad as
>> the current setup.
>
> It will be worse (or worst, I'm always
> confused...).
> The read and the check will double.

Touche - my logic was off ...

But a bit of grammar - bad = descriptive, worse = comparative, worst =
absolute, so you were correct with worse.

> I'm not sure about the read, but the
> check is currently expensive.

But you're still going to need a very unlucky state of affairs for the
optimised check to be worse. Okay, if the disk IS damaged, then the
optimised check could easily be the worst, but if it's just write
pressure, you're going to need every second stripe to be messed up by a
collision. Rather unlikely imho.

> bye,
>
> pg

Cheers,