Re: RAID wiped superblock recovery

Hello Sam,

On 5/10/20 6:50 AM, Sam Hurst wrote:
Hello,

[trim /]

So, I now have three drives with a wiped superblock. I'm fairly certain it hasn't wiped anything else, hex dumping the drives looks like the data all begins at the same place. First we tried recreating the superblocks by hand, but that didn't work. All the different combinations of --assemble I've tried haven't been much help, as it always ends the same way:

No surprise. Assemble needs near-perfect superblocks, and --force only relaxes a few rules.

So I've come to the conclusion that the only way forward is to use `mdadm --create` and hope I get the array back that way, with new superblocks.

Yes.  Be sure to always include --assume-clean in these trials.

However, it's my understanding that you need to add these disks in the correct order - and given I have 7 disks, that's 5040 possible permutations! The original four disks show their device roles, so I'm /assuming/ that's the order in which they need adding:

Yes, existing superblocks can be trusted. You should show the complete "mdadm -E" output for each of these member devices for our reference.

So I've tried all six permutations of the devices showing as "spare" at the end and I can never get a sensible filesystem out when I do a --create.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or can offer some wisdom into what to do next? Otherwise I'm writing a shell script to test all 5040 permutations...

It isn't just order that matters. You must get the right data offset and chunk size. Defaults have changed over the years, and offsets typically change (+/- 1 chunk) during reshapes.

You'll probably have to manually specify this stuff. Be sure to use the latest released version of mdadm, even if you have to compile it yourself.

If your data offsets are at least a couple megabytes, consider partitioning these disks at the same time as you reconstruct--simply adjust the data offset for the start sector of the partition. This will avoid future issues with stupid mobos. (You aren't the first to suffer from this.)

Phil