Re: RAID 1 | Restore based on Image of /dev/sda

On 04/05/20 12:26, Stefanie Leisestreichler wrote:

> Thanks, Wol, especially for the hint with the GUIDs, will keep this in
> mind. If ever using it again - maybe in case of a quick temporary
> replacement in the original computer - I will wipe it with zeros before.

And what Johannes said ... oh and I believe gdisk has an option that
will change guids for you without affecting anything else.

Wiping it with zeroes will take a long time - it might well be mdadm I
think it has an option to wipe the raid superblock.

Note that both the partitions and the raid will have guids, so moving
drives around can be fraught ...

> The partition layout will be cloned using sfdisk.
>
> Thanks for the wiki links. I read the wiki before asking but it was not
> clear to me how to do it...
>
> Btw, I will stay with mdadm/lvm/ext4 and not switch to btrfs.

That's good - my feelings entirely as btrfs may be a decent file system,
but I gather parity raid is experimental as in it will probably eat your
data at some point and may be unfixable. I gather it also does NOT
mirror your data by default (typical computer scientists - they consider
the filesystem structure valuable and assume the user can retrieve the
data from backup ... :-(

lvm gives you snapshotting and stuff ...

And my current (and planned new) systems both have the root filesystem
on a separate partition from /home, so if I wanted I could have root on
a 1.0 mirror - not especially recommended but there are good reasons for
it ...

> Thanks again,
> Steffi

Cheers,