Re: Setup Recommendation on UEFI/GRUB/RAID1/LVM

On 15.04.20 17:02, J. Brian Kelley wrote:
As for the final heresy, BTRFS, really not the time or place...

  - But it does provide a 'swap FILE' capability (more memory is still preferable).
   - RAID1 is not affected by the "write-hole".
   - extremely efficient snapshots
   - everything in the file system (no LVM, no MDADM)

The only concern is that you MUST instruct BTRFS to NOT use the entire available partition (btrfs shrink) to allow leeway for a resize.

I was thinking about using btrfs too, but I am afraid of loosing data and making inreversable faults which could cause data loss/fragmentation (for databases and kvm-images, i.e.) and so on.

I have found a lot of relevant information how to use it somewhere in the net and how to do this and that but not the one place where all the dos and donts are collected to start with :-(

Your hint about btrfs is new to me also even I read the docs in their wiki before. I bet I will find myself in a situation/environment which will be hard to administrate because of a gap of information I was overseeing when I took an action which I shouldn't.