Re: Setup Recommendation on UEFI/GRUB/RAID1/LVM

On 14.04.20 20:14, Phillip Susi wrote:

Stefanie Leisestreichler writes:

To be safe on system updates I want to use LVM snapshots. I like to make
a LVM-based snapshot when the system comes up, do the system updates,
perform the test and dicide either to go with the updates made or revert
to the original state.

Tradditional LVM snapshots were not suitable for keeping multiple, long
lived snapshots around.  They were really only for temporary use, such
as taking a snapshot to do a dump of without having to shut down
services.  I seem to remember they were developing a new multi snapshot
dm backend that would address some of these shortcomings, but I can't
find anything about that now in the google machine.

I could imagine living with this limitation since I
- do not expect to have to revert to the original state at all
- will have a decision about deleting/merging the snapshot pretty soon after the tests.

I have read that - when using UEFI - the EFI-System-Partition (ESP) has
to reside in a own native partition, not in a RAID nor LVM block device.

Correct.
This is exactly the point which I do not understand. So it is implicitly saying that it makes no sense to raid the 2 EFI-System-Partitions (sda1 + sdb1), i.e. as /dev/md124, as GRUB can not write to a RAID device and instead uses /dev/sda1 and no automatic sync will happen?

If that is true, I wonder how to setup a system using RAID 1 where you can - frankly spoken - remove one or the other disk and boot it :-(

I wonder, how I should build up this construct. I thought I could build
one partition with TOTAL_SIZE - 100M, Type FD00, on each device, take
these two (sda1 + sdb1) and build a RAID 1 array named md0. Next make
md0 the physical volume of my LVM (pvcreate /dev/md0) and after that add
a volume group in which I put my logical volumes:
- swap - type EF00
I was wrong with that, swap will be type 8200.

- /boot - with filesystem fat32 for uefi

Like you mentioned above, this needs to be a native partition, not a
logical volume.  Actually you only need /boot/EFI in a native fat32
partition, not all of /boot.

OK, got it and will do so.