Re: mdadm RAID1 -> 5 conversion safety

On Wed, Feb 05 2020, Wols Lists wrote:

> On 05/02/20 11:51, Paul Dann wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've got a load of data on an md RAID 1 array assembled from 2x4TB
>> disks. I'm looking to expand this by adding a third 4TB disk and
>> converting the array to RAID 5. Now the required procedure is
>> documented on the wiki, but my question is:
>>
>> When I convert the RAID 1 array to RAID 5, the array will be in a
>> degraded state as it rebuilds onto the new disk. However, if one of
>> the original two disks were to fail during this procedure, is mdadm
>> smart enough to convert the array back to degraded RAID 1, or will my
>> array now be a broken RAID 5 with no path to recovery?
>
> There is a "revert reshape" option which will take you back to a raid 1.
> This assumes, however, that it's the new disk that has failed.
>
> I'm pretty certain, however, that should one of the old disks fail
> during the conversion you will end up with a degraded raid 5.

This is correct.
It is not true to say "the array will be in a degraded state as it
rebuilds onto the new disk" as Paul did above.
During the rebuild the array will be in 2 parts:
 - a non-degraded raid5 which starts small and grows
 - a non-degraded raid1 which starts large and shrinks.

at no point in time is the array without full redundancy (unless a
device fails of course).

NeilBrown