Re: Keeping existing RAID6's safe during upgrade from CentOS 6 to CentOS 8

If you do pull the drives, make sure to pull them with the machine
off, and make sure to insert them with the machine off.

Not having the machine off would cause mdraid to fail the raid as the
drives are removed, and not having it off when inserting them would
make it activate them one at a time which may or may not quite work.

I have done my updates without pulling the drives (at least 1-2 fedora
reinstalls) and just made sure to not let anaconda mess with the
larger raid disks.  Without the conf file it will still find the
raids, it just won't have the same md* names.  I have also installed a
disk elsewhere and made sure the dracut config was setup to include
all drivers (change to hostonly=no).  6 does hostonly=no, 7 does
hostonly=yes, not sure what 8 does by default.

Good luck.