Re: Deep into potential data loss issue

On 25/11/19 08:16, Ian Kelling wrote:

> Ian Kelling <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> The partitions showed up, but the filesystems are full of errors and
>> generally unusable.
>
> update: I ran mdadm --create again with a different device ordering and
> that seems to have fixed the problem.

OWWWWW .....

Okay, it's good that you've fixed the problem, but you really shouldn't
be using --create unless you really have no other options left.

UPGRADE MDADM. It's a linux-only program, it's backwards compatible with
all raids, and 3.x is ancient ...

I'm guessing you haven't seen the linux raid web-site ...
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid

And I'm saying this to people with problems now - investigate
dm-integrity for any new drives. It's new, but if you've got a drive
that won't copy properly it looks like it'll be a god-send for helping
to recover an array. What I've just discovered is that if you use the
--no-wipe option, a drive should refuse to "read before write" which is
exactly what you want when using ddrescue. Whether it works correctly
with raid yet is another matter ... When I get a chance I'll be writing
it up for the website.

Cheers,
Wol