Re: raid0 layout issue documentation / confusions

On 29/10/2019 21:21, Andreas wrote:
(I wanted to react to the thread "admin-guide page for raid0 layout issue", but I just registered and I don't know how to respond to
existing messages.)

Just read a message in your email client and hit "reply" - unless you're not reading the mailing list as email?

I would like to make some suggestions regarding the recent raid0 layout patch, as it made my system unbootable, and it took me quite some time to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. I also encountered confusion on the web. I am just a regular user, not a programmer or linux guru, so take my suggestions as such.

Bear mind that the layout only changed as a result of a bug slipping through - the layout should not have changed. The problem is that once it got in to the wild, we have to live with it. There's nowhere in the metadata for it to go, because it shouldn't have been needed. It couldn't be reverted because that would break any arrays created with the "faulty" kernel. So what to do?

At the end of the day, the devs have done their best to fix an issue that should never have happened. But shit does happen, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Wol