RE: RAID 10 with 2 failed drives

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Stoffel
Sent: vineri, 20 septembrie 2019 23:52
To: Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Liviu.Petcu@xxxxxxx; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RAID 10 with 2 failed drives

>>>>> "Sarah" == Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Sarah> On 9/19/19 11:28 PM, Liviu Petcu wrote:
>> Thank you John Stoffel.
>>
>> So far I have done nothing but mdadm - exams.  Both disks seem to be gone
>> and have no led activity. Below are the system information and the
details
>> of the event from /var/log/messages.

Sarah> Maybe try reseating the drives, or reseating cables, or put the
Sarah> drives in a different server? Two drives being kicked at the
Sarah> same time sounds like a problem other than the hard drives
Sarah> themselves, unless you haven't been running any sort of SMART
Sarah> self tests or raid checks.

I agree with Sarah, make sure those two drives are really dead first.
If you have a USB3 port and one of those USB->SATA dongles, that might
be a quick and easy way to confirm.

Yes. Only one of the 2 disks reported by mdadm as failed, is broken. I
almost finished making images of all the discs, and for the second "failed"
disc ddrescue reported error-free copying. I intend to use the images to
recreate the array. I haven't done this before, but I hope I can handle
it...

I've been super busy at work today, just finally checking my own email.

Thank you!