Re: 5.1.21 Dell 2950 terrible swraid5 I/O performance with swraid on top of Perc 5/i raid0/jbod

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 06:42:23AM -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
> Not to discourage you from a possibly interesting and fruitful endeavor
> but when I bought myself a slightly newer dell server I traded out the
> PERC card for a newer version (model 700 IIRC) and then I things
> were quite a big different. Said board, bought used, wasn't very
> expensive. YMMV

Well, just received my H700 today, plugged it in, not everything is perfect
because I'm missing a cable, but sure enough, my rebuild speeds got 8 times
faster and the system stopped hanging all the time if I do any I/O.

I still think there was something fairly unexpected/wrong with the Perc 5/i
outside of it being a cheap card, but I have other things to worry about to
spend more time to find out :)
That said, if anyone wants the card for cost of shipping (US only please,
shipping abroad is too much of a pain), let me know and I'll give it to you.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/