Re: slow BLKDISCARD on RAID10 md block devices

>> [...] Many filesystems have a "free list" optimized for the
>> forward mapping fast "find a free block", not the reverse
>> mapping "check whether a block is free". A good option would
>> have been to not do 'fstrim'/'blkdiscard' and put TRIM in
>> 'fsck' (apparently that happens under MacOS X and 'e2fsck'
>> also allows that).

> how often do you reboot at all and then check your filesystems
> versus blocks freed /data deleted?

System design is all about tradeoffs: in this case between
having complicated and subtle code to list unused block segments
in the kernel or have it in 'fsck' (which can take weeks to
complete...), which must be regularly used to audit the
filesystem structure anyhow.

I am aware that the opinion that "reboot at all and then check
your filesystems" (and presumably other maintenance operations)
should be or can be performed rarely is very popular among many
sysadmins, being very low cost; to an extreme example I have
seen systems in semi production use for which hardware and
software went EOL in 2007 and untouched since then, and still
"work". But some people get away with it, some don't.