Re: slow BLKDISCARD on RAID10 md block devices

> I've been running into an issue with background fstrim on
> large xfs filesystems on RAID10d SSDs taking a lot of time to
> complete and starving out other I/O to the filesystem. There
> seem to be a few different issues involved here, [...] Doing
> this on actual 4x7.68TB or 6x7.68TB SSD arrays instead of with
> loop devices takes many many hours.

Amazingly unexpected news :-). Stop the presses! "Complex and
expensive operation based on a misdesigned primitive takes a
long time when scaled to huge volumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
In other news ursinids have been see relieving themselves in
areas with many trees.

> Any ideas on what I can try to speed this up? [...]

Develop a time machine and travel back in time to persuade the
authors of the TRIM spec to make it non-blocking?
Send patches to improve most host adapter and disk firmware?

> but the main one appears to be that BLKDISCARD on a RAID10 md
> block device sends many small discard requests down to the
> underlying component devices (while this doesn't seem to be an
> issue for RAID0 or for RAID1).

If you think that can be improved (and it can be improved, at a
very high cost), send patches :-).

> [...] the completion time is somewhat inversely proportional
> to the RAID chunk size. [...]

How strange is that! :-)

> It's quite easy to reproduce this with just using in-memory
> loop devices [...]

For pretty small values of "reproduce"...