Re: Few questions about (attempting to use) write journal + call traces

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 3:51 AM Michal Soltys <soltys@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/23/19 8:09 PM, Song Liu wrote:
> >>>

> >> Actually, this seems to be unreleated to underlying devices - the culprit seems to be attempting to write to an array after adding journal, without stopping and reassembling it first. Details below.
> >
> > Thanks for these experiments. Your analysis makes perfect sense.
> >
> > Do you think you can continue the  experiments with the write journal before
> > this issue got fixed?
> >
> > I am asking because this is not on the top of my list at this time. If
> > this is not
> > blocking other important tests, I would prefer to fix it at a later time.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Song
> >

> Yea it's fine. I can help with testing (whenever you sit down to this
> issues) as well.
>
> Question though - other than trying to add journal to existing live raid
> - is this feature overall safe to use (or are there any other know
> issues one should be aware of beforehand) ?

We (Facebook) have done some tests with it. However, we didn't put
it into production. The reason behind this decision was not reliability, but
performance concerns and high level directions. I think Redhat is
evaluating it.

+ Xiao, who might be working on this.

Thanks,
Song