Re: ID 5 Reallocated Sectors Count

> Most of the time, Gnome Disk Utility and motherboard RAID systems are
> showing a disk as "officially not OK anymore" around something like 500
> reallocated sectors (which is already very big).
> But SMART "Normalized", "Worst", "Threshold" values are quite
> complicated to understand (it may be some easy way to translate them
> into something clear?) so I don't know what is the official "failure" value.
>
> I don't know how many reserved sectors for reallocation are existing on
> most drives, but there is some bits of information here about spare
> sectors area size:
> https://www.passmark.com/forum/general/4257-detrmining-the-size-of-the-sector-spare-area
> It seems that you can calculate and see how many sectors aren't
> available for data, so that most of them are probably the "spare sectors
> pool".
>
> Anyway, after more than 1800+ reallocated sectors, by experience, it's
> time to thank your disk one last time, to turn it off, and to let him go
> to hard disk's heaven! The drive is living its really last hours, it may
> die during the night.

We'll see. For some reason it's not currently climbing, but I guess it's just night and it's not doing much. Zabbix is still complaining, but hell, it might even be interesting :)

PS: As I mentioned, it's not my box. I just help out when something bad happens etc, such as a sudden drop to 200kB/s on one drive in the RAID (we sorted that out and added some monitoring to zabbix for that as well - it's in another thread in here).

roy (going to bed)
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 98013356