Re: ID 5 Reallocated Sectors Count

Hi!

The maximum I saw from an healthy drive on which the value never increased anymore - despite 8 years of intensive read/write work (and frequent full read/write) is 107 reallocated sectors (was 106 in 2011, Maxtor 6L160M0). This disk is almost 15 years old. This is a funny but rare case.

I often see some cases with like 30 or 40 reallocated sectors and it's not growing anymore (even with full read/write from time to time) despite a year of two (around me, 1 samsung and 2 seagate ones).

May be those cases were due to shocks which shot just some sectors, and then no more sectors? If you run 1 full read test per day, you will quickly see if the value keep very low, or if it's rising. If it's rising everyday, your disk has cancer, and its growing. My condolences!

Beware of short term tests:
Recently a Seagate ST2000DM001 (2TB), had lot of pending sectors: after a full rewrite test, it was fine, full read back too (pending sectors were back to zero and only few reallocated sectors remained like 10 or something). So I decided to keep it... But few days later, I came back and saw that the disk was completely dead - not even starting.

Long time ago in the past I had a disk which experienced 1 startup failure (some clicks sounds then it turned off). Insisting a second time just to be sure of what I saw, it started fine, so I did a complete test and backup (seemed to be fine) and I decided to keep it. 2 days later, at power on, it made the clicking sound again. And never started anymore.

My advice: if your disk show some signs of cancer or heart attack at least once, you can put it somewhere with "shred -n 5000 -b /dev/yourdisk" just for fun to see if it stabilizes. In some rare cases, it will stabilize and keep running longer than new fresh ones ^^ so it's always funny to do the test. But most of the time, it will fail quickly. So keeping it on real work should be avoided while you aren't sure.

As you are on RAID 6 it's less dangerous to wait and see. But what you are likely to see is a very quickly coming failure ;)