New complete guide for irreversible mdadm failures recovery

Hi folks,

In my previous mail I said that having found really valuable information, interesting tests on the Internet, and thanks to a lot of attempts and tests I've done on my own with a dedicated machine, I would have some time to add a lot of valuable information that isn't into the official wiki about recovering from situation that could have been considered as definitely lost.

It took me some more time, and a lot of validation and thorough tests (as no error, bad advice, or unverified supposition can be allowed). I also managed to understand (and show) how to very simply use overlays so that write operation can't happen to any real RAID member.

The guide is about everything to know when recreating a new array over a not working anymore or seriously screwed past existing one. After a clear introduction about what it technically covers and implies.

It's also about recovery of accidentally overwritten member(s), and/or understanding about rebuild process effects on the different members of an array. In case of RAID6 for example, an erroneous full rewrite of every member can surprisingly be recovered in some situations - and in which case which rewritten disk has been rewritten with what - and is it recoverable, and how.

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Irreversible_mdadm_failure_recovery

I did my best efforts for the English correctness; anyway feel free to feedback or correct if you see some errors (be it English or technical things, although it has been thoroughly tested).

Best regards,
Julien Robin