Re: Help needed: RAID5 with two apparent simo drive failures

On 3/31/19 00:03, Phil Turmel wrote:
Hi Jorge,

Very good report.

Thanks. You can credit the clear instructions on the wiki for that.

On 3/30/19 7:02 PM, Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Have determined that the drives came with SCT ERC disabled by default. I ran the script on this page successfully but have not yet set it to run at every boot:

<https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Timeout_Mismatch>

Consider not buying cheap drives when the time comes to replace.  The boot script will suit until then.

In my defense, I was young, stupid, and unsupervised when I built the array. Hard to argue with the results. The system has been running practically 24/7 since December 2008 and this is the first glitch I couldn't fix by simply re-seating SATA cables and rebooting.

One thing I would like to confirm is where to call the SCT ERC script in the boot process. The wiki wasn't clear on that point.

All of this is consistent with a controller issue knocking out those two drives simultaneously.  The correct solution is to use --assemble --force with explicit device names (not using --scan).

You should use fsck to clean up any unavoidable fs corruption from in-flight I/O before mounting.

Would you recommend explicitly including all four devices, since sdd and sde have the same event count? Or just three, arbitrarily picking one of sdd/sde to include, then adding a new fourth drive? Due to the age of the system and the fact that the motherboard SATA controller now has a strike against it, my plan upon recovery is to immediately back up the array and replace the entire system. So if the former would work on a short-term basis, I'd be willing to try it.

Thanks again,
JRF