Re: Re[14]: Linux Raid + BTRFS: rookie mistake ... dd bs=1M

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 12:12 AM <no_spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris,
> I haven't given up on the restoration; I had a death in a family so
> tonight was the first opportunity I had to get back to this. Luckily;
> I left the HexDump -C search going while I was dealing the with
> funeral arrangements; I came to the following results:
>
> https://pastebin.com/rhnKUZ9c
>

> As a reminder; here's the command which finished:
> dd if=/dev/sda1 2> /dev/null | hexdump -C | grep -P
> "\x4c\x56\x4d\x32\x20\x30\x30\x31"

That's not expected. I was rather expecting maybe 5 lines, all within
a 1MiB range.

I'm pretty sure, but not absolutely sure, that LVM metadata is in the
first 1MiB. And yet in your first 1MiB that was supposedly zero'd,
there's a bogus GPT (header only), and a btrfs signature, and that
doesn't pass the smell test. Something is missing about our
understanding of how all of this is supposed to be assembled. I'll
have to think about the proper questions to even ask next.

--
Chris Murphy