Re: RAID6 : Sequential Write Performance

>> Greetings !
>>
>> I created a MD RAID6 with a 512KiB chunk size out of 12 8TB drives, no internal
>> bitmap and no journal on quad xeon gold 6154 running kernel 4.18 (Ubuntu
>> 18.04.1) and set FIO to do a 1TiB sequential write to the device with a block
>> size of 5M, 3 processes and a QD of 64.
>>
>> Each drive being able to achieve 215MiB/s at the beginning of the drive, I
>> expected the output to be somewhere around the 2GiB/s mark at the beginning of
>> the raid array.
>> After setting stripe_cache_size to 32768 and group_thread_cnt to 2, I only got
>> an average 1.4GiB/s out of my array and the throughput wasn't very stable.
>>
>> I did the same test against a hardware raid controller, the Broadcom MegaRAID
>> 9480-8i8e, and it managed a nice flat 1.9 GiB/s.
>>
>> I expected a modern cpu to easily win over a hardware controller but that wasn't
>> the case.
>> Am I missing something ?
>
> At a wag... the 4GB ram cache on the raid card causing it to appear as
> if the disk access is faster?
>
> I have to be honest, I've long since given up trying to test the
> performance of raid formats/layouts/chunks/etc... due to the multiple
> ways the system can "do stuff" that changes the results with even the
> exact same manual style tests. Then again, my workloads tend to be "good
> enough, is good enough". I guess, however, someone needing a high speed
> file server bonded 10Gb links to multiple workstations running video
> file editing software would be a whole different ballgame.

Well, something is bound to be wrong here when a RAID card is faster than using a far faster CPU for the work, with faster memory etc. Does anyone know how this can be debugged or fixed? Is there a possibility to choose which to use from SSE/AVX?

Vennlig hilsen

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk