Disabling HDD write cache neccessary (hdparm -W0)?

Hello all,

I'd like to ask whether it is necessary to switch the write cache of HDDs and SSDs (without power-loss-protection) to off when they are used for mdraid.

As discussed by Nik.Brt. and Song Liu last week, many storage devices
(HDDs/SSDs) "lie" when they indicate that the have written data. The data is only in the drive's cache, but not on magnetic disc or flash. "The disk's embedded microcontroller may signal the main computer that a disk write is complete immediately after receiving the write data, before the data is actually
written to the platter." [1]

When used as a single disc, this can be handled with modern file systems, as
they use write barriers. [2][3]

But what I'm not sure is, how this is handled by mdraid in case of a sudden power loss. In the past I've recommended to disable the drive's write cache by
using "hdparm -W0". This is also the default behavior of hardware raid
controllers. They switch off the drive cache of HDDs as they use their internal
(battery-backed) cache.

So my questions is:
Is it save to keep the cache of HDDs and SSDs (without power-loss-protection)
to on when used with mdraid?

Best regards,
Werner

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_buffer#Write_acceleration