Re: Revive a dead md raid5 array

On 20/11/2018 21:53, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
As said, I made copies of the disks with read errors, using ddrescue. FAFAICS ddrescue managed to overcome some, though not all, read errors, so I expect the new disks to be better in that respect than the originals.

Not necessarily. A read error or two is normal. The point of raid is to recover from these errors. It's just that a combination of large drives and no SCT/ERC - especially if you're not srubbing your drives regularly - is just asking for trouble. The wiki does point out iirc that if you read a 4TB consumer drive from end to end just THREE times you should be prepared to hit an error. Okay, hopefully your drives are way better than that, but that sort of error rate is considered within spec, and acceptable.

Cheers,
Wol