Large Linux RAID System (lots of drives)

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a backup SAN system for a client, which should be "good enough" to service the daily workload (with some loss of performance acceptable). Currently, performance would be almost non-existant due to using 10TB spinning drives in RAID5.

So we are looking to upgrade the primary SAN servers which have 8 x Intel SSD's (800GB) each to use larger (1.9TB) sized SSD's. By re-using the 16 x old Intel SSD's in the backup server (in RAID6), we should achieve the same overall capacity as the new primary servers, as well as allowing for an improved performance over the existing 10TB spinning disks.

My question is what is the best way to get 16 x SSD's connected in a single system? Would I just get a 16 SATA port adapter like this:

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103121&cm_re=adaptec-_-16-103-121-_-Product
Adaptec 1000 2288200-R (1000-16e ) 8-Lane PCIe Gen3 Low-Profile, MD2 SATA / SAS 12 Gb/s PCIe Gen3 Host Bus Adapter
 4 (x4) SFF-8644 External Connectors

Or is there other (potentially more reliable under linux and/or cheaper) that could do the same thing?

Thanks for any pointers or advice.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au

on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message
in error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the
message from your computer. Viruses - Any loss/damage incurred by receiving
this email is not the sender's responsibility.