Re: RAID 1 Performance (Backups)

Hi Shaun

On 10/16/2018 06:46 PM, Shaun Glass wrote:
Good Day,

We have some servers that that we have setup RAID 1 with mdadm. The
layout is having one disk in one VMWare Datastore and the other in
another VMWare Datastore. These are RHEL 7 Servers. LVM With EXT4
Filesystems.

So the layout is like this?

            raid1 (one server)
                ______|______
                |                    |  (network)
vmware datastore        vmware datastore

What's the x of rhel 7.x version? Or kernel version?

I use google to search vmware datastore. It says vmware datastore are logical volumes which are created from physical storage (iscsi disks/hdd and so on). Am I right?

Now they seem to function perfectly well without too much performance
impact until we run backups in the evening. Here we see backups
basically taking 5 times as long to complete as they normally would.
We use TSM for backups and it is typically flat file backups.
Could you explain TSM and flat file backups?

Please note these Datastores are in different DC's with a big network
link between. Since performance during the day is perfectly fine, we
are a bit lost as to why backups are taking so long.

And what's the meaning of DC? data center?

Regards
Xiao