Re: How to toggle state of MD RAID member disk from active to clean?

Hi Sean,

{Top-posting repaired.  Please don't do this on kernel.org. And *do*
trim replies.}

On 10/5/18 4:07 PM, Sean Caron wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:03 PM Sean Caron <scaron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[trim /]

>> It seems like in recent kernel or md versions, now, when this happens,
>> the spuriously ejected drives end up stuck in State "active" instead
>> of State "clean" which prevents this method of recovery from working.

Please elaborate on this.  Active should be equivalent to clean for all
layering purposes.  What kernel, and what version of mdadm, and what
actual errors did you encounter?

Active vs. clean are entirely driven by whether there are writes in
flight to the array (plus a little).  An array with nothing mounted or
otherwise using the data area should flip itself to "clean" without any
user intervention.

> Sorry to respond to my own message but I also wanted to note that the
> metadata version is 1.2 and the drives have no partition table on
> them, the array strings were just composed of whole drives.

Shouldn't matter, unless you are running a distro that automagically
creates partition tables when they shouldn't.  The existence of such
behavior is one of the reasons not to use non-partitioned devices.

Phil