Re: Failed RAID5 array - recovery help

On 07/09/18 01:14, Adam Goryachev wrote:
On 07/09/18 06:14, Francois Goudal wrote:
Hello,

I've been running a 5-disks RAID5 volume with an ext4 filesystem on a Synology NAS since 2012 without any problems, until, last week, bad things happened.

At first, my disk in slot 5 "failed". I'm putting quotation marks here because as I'll explain later, I later found out that the disk is actually in good shape, so it might have been a controller issue, who knows...

At this point, the array is degraded but still fully working. I don't do anything other than ordering another disk for replacement.

Couple days later, new disk gets delivered. I remove the failed disk from slot 5, put in the new disk and initiate the resync of the volume.

Of course, half way through, what had to happen happenned. Got URE on disk in Slot 1. Disk is marked failed and volume is also failed as a consequence of 2 disks missing.

Now, it's time to think about recovery, because I unfortunately do not have a very recent backup of the data (lesson learned, won't do this ever again).

At this point, I decide to freeze everything before trying anything stupid.

I took all 5 original disks from the NAS out and connected them to a linux machine and went through a very lengthy process of running ddrescue to image them all.

 - Slot 5 disk (the first one that failed) happens to read properly, no errors at all...

 - Slot 1 disk (the one who failed next with URE) has 2 consecutive sectors (1kb) at approx 60% of the volume that can't be read, all other data reads fine

 - Slots 2, 3 and 4 disks read fine

So, I now have full images of all 5 disks I can safely work on. They are on a LVM-based volume and I have a snapshot, so I can easily try and fail with bad mdadm commands and easily go back to original dumps.

My Events counter on disks looks like this:

root@lab:/# mdadm --examine /mnt/dump2/slot{1,2,3,4,5}.img | grep Event
         Events : 2357031
         Events : 2357038
         Events : 2357041
         Events : 2357044
         Events : 2354905

Disk 5 is way behind, which is normal since the array was kept running for a couple days after that disk failed.

Disks 1,2,3 and 4 are all pretty close. They are not exactly the same number, but I think this is because I didn't stop the raid volume before pulling the disks out, so each time a disk was pulled, the Array State in the superblock was updated on the remaining disks. My mistake here, but hopefully not going to be a big deal ?

So, my conclusion at this point is that I probably still have a consistent state with disks 1,2,3 and 4 (except that I have a known 1kb of data that's corrupted, but shouldn't be a very big deal, those sectors may have not been used at all by the filesystem, and even if they did, this shouldn't prevent me from recovering most of my files, as long as I can reassemble the volume somehow).

I was thinking about trying something like mdadm --assemble --assume-clean --level=5 --raid-devices=5 /dev/md0 /dev/loop0 /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3 missing

(with /dev/loop0-4 respectively pointing to my disks 1-4, and declaring disk 5 as missing)

Haven't tried this yet, would this be the right approach ? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Personally, I think this is the right "next step", but if you wanted to recover 100% of your data, then I'd follow this process (but I don't know all the precise magic commands... but perhaps more research and/or trial and error, and/or someone else will jump in with the details: 1) If you can identify the URE blocks, then you could use the disks 2,3,4 and the original disk5 to recalculate the correct values for disk1, and write this into the image copy (or write this to the original disk1, which should either resolve the URE or remap to another physical sector and solve the URE. 2) Then you will need to research the timeout issue and URE's and your disks, and fix the timeout issue (assuming that is what caused the original problem with disk5, and potentially the problem with disk1 during the rebuild).
3) Then you can re-add the new disk5, and allow the resync to complete.
4) If possible, wipe the original disk5, and add to the array as a spare, or even better, convert to RAID6 5) Enable regular checks of the array so that you will detect URE's before they become a problem (during a rebuild)
6) Enjoy many more years of trouble free operation

Hope that helps, but it sounds like as far as data recovery goes, you are in an excellent position to recover everything.

Regards,
Adam

Hi,

So, after quite a bit of struggle, I finally managed to recover all my data :) I continued on my proposed method, and it wasn't a completely smooth ride, but I eventually managed to do it.
For the record, the difficulties I faced:
 - my command above was incomplete, I had to specify a size, which wasn't obvious. The unit for this parameter is different than the units found in mdadm --examine output. I eventually found out that dividing by two the Used Dev Size from mdadm --examine was the right value for mdadm --assemble --size option.  - also the chunk size had to be forced, my raid volume had a chunk size of 64 (as per /proc/mdstat) and newer versions of mdadm default to a bigger size  - then I had to use an older version of mdam anyway, because I had a message like: "mdadm: /dev/sdb1 is smaller than given size. xxxK < yyyK + metadata". The page https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_Recovery even though marked obsolete was helpful  - after all above, I was able to re-assemble a degraded volume (4 disks out of 5), and I could see it contained a valid ext4 filesystem. Unfortunately I was unable to mount it, due to the kernel throwing "Number of reserved GDT blocks insanely large: 8189". Synology NASes seem to format their ext4 filesystems with a large number of reserved GDT blocks, and unfortunately, recent kernels have a limit and will refuse to mount a filesystem that exceeds this limit. I couldn't find any option to force the mount, so I had to recompile my kernel after commenting out the code that does this test. Maybe a force option would have been nice here, but well...

After all above, I was able to access my data and rsync it somewhere safe.

I decided I would not go down the path of trying to recover those 2 512-byte blocks. I already spent a lot of energy on this and I feel like I can accept to maybe have one file that is maybe corrupted. But thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding your item 2) it is clear to me that the problem with disk1 during rebuild was due to bad sectors. I mean, ddrescue also failed to read sectors, so the rebuild just had to fail because of that (and it failed at about 60% which also corresponds to where those failed blocks are on that disk). So this disk goes to trash. The other ones too probably, but for a different reason (they are almost 10 years old and I'm changing my storage strategy, see below).

With regards to 5), how would you do this ? Do you mean that I should, on purpose, pull a disk from the array, then put it back and initiate a rebuild, every once in a while ? Or is there some magic mdadm command for this ? At least, nothing that's exposed through the Synology DSM user interface, unfortunately. But I could always do it in command line I guess.

There are some lessons learned here, and I have decided to rethink my storage strategy. Not going to do RAID5 anymore, rather do RAID10 instead, with 4 bigger disks. That leaves one slot free in my NAS, which I'm going to use with a very large disk, that is as big as my whole RAID10 volume, and I will setup data replication between the RAID10 and that single disk. Not only that, I'll have another place where the data is also going to be synchronized, as an off-site backup.

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer my question and offering help. And also thank everyone who contributed to the wiki pages on kernel.org which have been really helpful and prevented me from rushing into doing bad things which would have resulted in true data loss.

Best regards,
Francois