Re: Raid10, six drives, two mirrors

On 09/09/18 16:32, Wilson Jonathan wrote:
> I've tried to google, but its not being my friend as I may be using the
> incorrect terms.
>
> What I'm trying to find out is if I can create a raid10 with six/6
> drives but with a triple mirror where there are only 2 mirrors
> containing 3 drives a piece.
>
> Basically
> <-------- raid 0 --------->
> <- raid 1 ->   <- raid 1 ->
> M1   M1   M1   M2   M2   M2

This is an odd combination.  Do you have a particular reason for wanting
such a setup?

It is not uncommon to build higher level raids on top of mirror pairs,
but less common to have three-way mirrors.  (Many raid systems don't
support three-way mirrors at all.  Of course, Linux md raid supports
everything :-) )

Raid 5 over pairs gives you better redundancy and can be extended with
more pairs if you need it later.

<-------- raid 5 -------------->
<- r1 ->    <- r1 ->    <- r1 ->
M1    M1    M2    M2    M3    M3

If you want simple layered RAID 0 over RAID 1, that's easy enough to
make (as John's post showed).

If you want better performance, RAID 10 can be better - as Andreas said,
you can do raid10 with "-n3" and six drives.  For read-heavy loads on
spinning rust disks, raid10 with "-f3" and six drives will give you
triple redundancy and /faster/ large streaming reads than a six-drive
RAID 0 can achieve (but slower writes).  However, RAID 10 layouts can be
restrictive if you later want to re-arrange things such as using bigger
disks.

The "best" solution, as always, depends on the details of your needs and
priorities.