Re: MegaRAID DDF

On Jul 2, 2018, at 5:06 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <gandalf.corvotempesta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out if mdadm is able to read and use a
> MegaRAID RAID-6 array (it should be DDF compatible).
>
> I only have production servers, to I can safely test on my own, anyone
> did this previously?

I have done this for data recovery — it works fine for read-only but I can’t attest to read/write, scrub, or replacing a drive (I have no reason to believe it wouldn’t work, but have never tried).

The only “catch” is to check the RAID6 algorithm, I’ve had LSI cards do ddf-N-continue and ddf-N-restart.  But if you load the DDF container and then start the array(s), it should Just Work.  In my case, I was doing data recovery, so I had to “create” the array and provide all parameters.

I highly suggest you use overlay files as described in the Wiki.  Once you have something you’re confident will work, remove the overlays and run those same commands on the raw disks.

Thanks-
 Dan