Re: RAID5 degraded, removed the wrong hard disk frm the tray

First of all, thanks for your kind reply, Wol

Il 17/06/2018 20:30, Wols Lists wrote:
I'm worried ...

Anyways, first things first. I'm guessing /dev/sda failed.
a thing that I almost forgot to say, but it's because I do not know if it's important, is that the names of the device have always changed at every restart of the NAS. In this "scenario", /dev/sda is the disk that I physically removed, and it is the disc that emits a sinister "clac clac" sound.
Do you have
another computer? Can you examine this disk there? Can you do a ddrescue
to copy the contents onto your new hard disk?
I have already connected the faulty disk (sda) to another PC with a Linux Mint, examining it with gparted and the "disks app" of the distro, but without results, because the disk sometime hangs the system. maybe I can try with a live distro and ddrescue (I was totally ignoring ddrescue, thanks a lot)...

so correct me if I am wrong:

1) I will start with a live distro (ages ago I have used rescatux to rescue a veeeery old Mandriva disk, but maybe a Debian will work the same)
2) apt-get install ddrescue (if not present)
3) ddrescue -v /dev/OLD_HARD_DISK /dev/NEW_HARD_DISK /somewhere/ddrescue.log
4) fsck.FILESYSTEM_TYPE /dev/NEW_HARD_DISK
5) installing the new disk on the NAS and say a prayer

a newbie newbie but really newbie question: can ddrescue damage the new HD in this way?
... I'm worried
that sdc has been trashed. That means that sdb is your only good disk.
It might well be a good idea to get another 2TB drive and ddrescue that
as well.

yes, I will order another as soon as possibile, thanks for the advice

If you can ddrescue sda, let us know what --examine says. Hopefully it's
reasonably intact, and we can rebuild the array from the two copied disks.

tomorrow I will start to ddrescue the removed one, always without touching nothing on the NAS. Furthermore I will order the second disk to ddrescue sdc, and as soon as I finish with the first ddrescue I will let you know the result of --examine

Many many thanks again for you help,
Piero