Journaled RAID rebuilding fully after power failure

Hi,

I've been noticing an unexpected behaviour on some Journaled RAID6
(without a bitmap) after a power failure: Upon re-assembling the
array, sometimes a full rebuild of the RAID occurs. It is possible
that one of the drive superblock was not fresh (e.g. drive failure
because of a cable or IO controller event) on one or more of the
drives. Still, I assumed that since MD knows about every pending write
to the array as stored in the Journal, it would only "replay" the
journal and flush pending writes, not needing a full rebuild,
regardless of the RAID state (even when dirty degraded). I was also
surprise to find that I could create a Journaled RAID with an internal
bitmap also: wouldn't the journal supersede the bitmap, as it records
pending writes on a per stripe basis, as opposed to a bitmap region?

Thanks in advance for helping me clarifying this point.

Ben.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail message, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message, and any
attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any prints
thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS
E-MAIL IS NOT INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING. Notwithstanding the
Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law
of similar substance and effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary hereinabove, this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments
hereto are not intended to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a
contract and are not otherwise intended to bind the sender, MPSTOR, or any
other person or entity.