Re: Verify RAID1

On 28/04/18 05:32, Nick Leli wrote:
> These (sd[ab]) drives are not explicitly mounted (at least in
> /proc/mounts), yet this seems to cause a problem.  So I'm curious:
>
> 1. Is it possible to mount these devices, while a RAID array is active?
> 2. If mounting is not possible, is there another way to verify that
> each disk contains the correct data (besides /proc/mdstats or dd)?

There's nothing there to mount!

The only time you can mount a raid member, is if you've got a
file-system directly on a v0.9 or v1.0 mirror. You've got a v1.2. To add
to that, as I understand you, you have an LVM volume on your raid array.

So sd5 contains a raid "whatever-it-is", which then has a lvm
"whatever-it-is" starting at some random position within the raid
whatever-it-is, which then itself has your file-system at some random
position within that!

Seeing as mount only works with file-systems, good luck in working out
where the file-system is physically located to mount it! Not knowing
LVM, it wouldn't surprise me to find it's not actually a contiguous
chunk of disk, so mounting it would be extremely dangerous.

Oh - and that md5 sum idea *might* work, but the more layers you have in
the stack the more likely it is to fail, and any management work like
replacing disks is almost certain to mess it up.

I'm afraid you'll really have to assume that if all the monitoring tools
say every layer is working correctly as designed, that the whole system
is okay.

Cheers,
Wol