Re: Implementing Global Parity Codes

On Sat, Jan 27 2018, mostafa kishani wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am going to make some modifications to RAID protocol to make it more
> reliable for my case (for a scientific, and maybe later, industrial
> purpose). For example, I'm going to hold a Global Parity (a parity
> taken across the whole data stripe rather than a row) alongside normal
> row-wise parities, to cope with an extra sector/page failure per
> stripe. Do you have any suggestion how can I implement this with a
> moderate effort (I mean what functions should be modified)? have any
> of you had any similar effort?

In raid5.c the is a "struct stripe_head" which represents a stripe that
is one-page (normally 4K) wide across all devices.  All the data for any
parity calculation can all be found in a 'stripe_head'.
You would probably need to modify the stripe_head to represent several
more blocks so that all the Data and Parity for any computation are
always attached to the one stripe_head.

> I also appreciate if you guide me how can I enable DEBUG mode in mdadm.

I assume you mean debug mode on "md".
mdadm is the management tool.
md is the kernel driver.

mdadm doesn't have a debug mode.

md has a number of pr_debug() calls which can each be turned on or off
independently using dynamic debugging

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/admin-guide/dynamic-debug-howto.html

To turn on all pr_debug commands in raid5.c use

   echo file raid5.c +p > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

to turn them off again:

   echo file raid5.c -p > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

NeilBrown