Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] De-clustered RAID with MD

On 31/01/18 09:58, David Brown wrote:
> I would also be interested in how the data and parities are distributed
> across cabinets and disk controllers.  When you manually build from
> smaller raid sets, you can ensure that in set the data disks and the
> parity are all in different cabinets - that way if an entire cabinet
> goes up in smoke, you have lost one drive from each set, and your data
> is still there.  With a pseudo random layout, you have lost that.  (I
> don't know how often entire cabinets of disks die, but I once lost both
> disks of a raid1 mirror when the disk controller card died.)

The more I think about how I plan to spec raid-61, the more a modulo
approach seems to make sense. That way, it'll be fairly easy to predict
what ends up where, and make sure your disks are evenly scattered.

I think both your and my approach might have problems with losing an
entire cabinet, however. Depends on how many drives per cabinet ...

Anyways, my second thoughts are ...

We have what I will call a stripe-block. The lowest common multiple of
"disks needed" ie number of mirrors times number of drives in the
raid-6, and the disks available.

Assuming my blocks are all stored sequentially I can then quickly
calculate their position in this stripe-block. But this will fall foul
of just hammering the drives nearest to the failed drive. But if I
pseudo-randomise this position with "position * prime mod drives" where
"prime" is not common to either the number of drives or the number or
mirrors or the number of raid-drives, then this should achieve my aim of
uniquely shuffling the location of all the blocks without collisions.

Pretty simple maths, for efficiency, that smears the data over all the
drives. Does that sound feasible? All the heavy lifting, calculating the
least common multiple, finding the prime, etc etc can be done at array
set-up time.

(If this then allows feasible 100-drive arrays, we won't just need an
incremental assemble mode, we might need an incremental build mode :-)

Cheers,
Wol