Re: USB-to-SATA and RAID

On 23/01/18 20:16, Linus Lüssing wrote:
Hi,

By chance I found this statement in the Linux RAID Wiki:

"Do NOT use [USB devices] as part of your array. They have
  a timeout/disconnect mechanism which interacts very
  badly with the raid code." [0]

That was me that wrote that on the wiki. However, I'm just editing stuff so I don't actually have any experience of it.

Could someone elaborate further on this? Does "interacts very
badly" mean that there will be potential data loss / data
corruption? Or does "very badly" just mean short, temporary
performance issues / lags upon a disk failure?

The wiki also mentions the timeout problem. As far as I can make out - and bear in mind as I said above I don't have personal experience - it seems to me from what I've picked up that USB suffers this problem in spades.

In other words, what I *think* happens, from what I've picked up, is that the USB bus times out. And when the raid comes along to use the disk, the USB bus is no longer responding ... BOOM!

Regards, Linus

I hope that's helpful, and maybe people who know more will chime in, but that's it as I understand it.

Cheers,
Wol