Re: Troubleshooting "Buffer I/O error" on reading md device

Am 02.01.2018 um 03:46 schrieb RQM:
I hope this list is the right place to ask the following:

I've got a 5-disk RAID-5 array that's been built by a QNAP NAS device, which has recently failed (I suspect a faulty SATA controller or backplane).
I migrated the disks to a desktop computer that runs Debian stretch (kernel 4.9.65-3+deb9u1 amd64) and mdadm version 3.4. Although the array can be assembled, I encountered the following error in my dmesg output ([1], recorded directly after a recent reboot and fsck attempt) when running fsck:

Buffer I/O error on dev md0, logical block 1598030208, async page read

I can reliably reproduce that error by trying to read from the md0 device. It's always the same block, also across reboots

i had the same message on my testserver VM running within VMware Workstation after upgrade to one of the first 4.14 kernels on Fedora for /dev/sdb1 (rootfs) and it went away as it came

in case of a virtual disk faulty hardware is even impossible or at least would i expect such message on the underlying raid10 and not in a random guest