Re: Is there any lazy initialization mechanism in linux-raid?

On Fri, Dec 15 2017, guomingyang wrote:

> Hi all:
>
>        Today's disk is becoming larger and larger, and the recovery time
> is becoming longer. I'm thinking about a lazy initialization mechanism
> in linux raid5 to speed up recovery, which contains an un-initializing
> bitmap and a backend thread for initializing stripes lazily only after a
> stripe is write. The major difference is as follows:
>
>        (1)When a raid4 or raid5 device is created, we don't recovery a
> disk as usual, instead we just set all the bit in un-initialize bitmap.
>
>        (2)When a write happens and the corresponding un-initializing bit
> is set, we must first clean the bit, then wake up the backend thread to
> resync the stripe, and only do RCW in corresponding stripe before the
> resync is done.
>
>       The major advantage of this mechanism is that when a disk is
> replaced, we can only recovery the stripes which have been initialized,
> so as to speed up recovery.
>
>       Does linux-raid have similar mechanism today? Or is there anyone
> who has already working on similar mechanism?

No, linux-raid doesn't support this.
I don't know of anyone working on this.
I wrote about the idea nearly 7 years ago

   http://neil.brown.name/blog/20110216044002#5

but never got around to doing anything.  It probably wouldn't be too
hard if someone wanted it enough to put in some effort.

NeilBrown