Re: Raid 5 array down/missing - went through wiki steps

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Jun-Kai Teoh <kai.teoh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope this email is going to the right place.
>
> I'll cut to the chase - I added a drive to my RAID 5 and was resyncing
> when my machine was abruptly powered down. Upon booting it up again,
> my RAID array is now missing.
>
> I've followed the instructions that I've found on the wiki, and it
> hasn't solved my issues, but it's given me a sense of the things that
> I'm hoping can help you guys help me troubleshoot.
>
> My array can't be assembled. It tells me that the superblock on
> /dev/sda doesn't match the others.
>
> /dev/sda thinks the array has 7 drives
> /dev/sd[bcefghi] thinks the array has 8 drives
>
> /dev/sda was not being reshaped
> /dev/sd[bcefghi] has reshape position data in the raid.status file
>
> both /dev/sda and /dev/sdh think their device role is Active device 2
>
> I can't bring /dev/md126 back up with sd[bcefghi] as it'll tell me
> that there are 6 drives and 1 rebuilding, not enough to start the
> array
>
> My mdadm.conf shows a /dev/dev/127 with very minimal info in it - does
> not look right to me.
>
> I haven't zeroed the superblock, nor have I tried a clean-assemble
> either. I saw the wiki say I should email the group if I've gotten
> that far and I'm panicking and nothing's working. So...
>
> Help me out, pretty please?

I wonder if you know for certain that the RAID was scrubbed and clean
before you made the changes?

Maybe sda got kicked before you added the new drive?

The number one thing you'll want to supply is the 'Examine' results
for all drives:

mdadm -E /dev/sd[abcdefghi]

and

mdadm -D for the array if it rill run.

I would also run smartctl on the drives and post those results back also.

I won't be able to solve your problems but those items are pretty much
required for others to get started in a meaningful way.

Good luck,
Mark