Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: 3-disk RAID5 won't assemble

On 10/20/2017 06:49 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 10/20/2017 07:37 PM, Anthony Youngman wrote:
>> On 20/10/17 23:46, Alex Elder wrote:
>
>>> I would really appreciate having someone who's been through this
>>> before glance through the mdadm, mdstat, and smartctl output I've
>>> provided to make sure I'm not mistaken about the state of things.
>>> Setting up the RAID was fine; but now that I'm (finally) dealing
>>> with my first failure I am a bit apprehensive.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for your response.
>>>
>> Failing to fix the timeouts is just asking for problems to strike -
>> usually some way down the line. Make sure you set that script up to run
>> every boot BEFORE you try and fix the array. Then, as I say, just force
>> the two good drives and re-add the third. Your array will be back ...
>> (and if you really need to re-assure yourself, try it out with overlays
>> first).
>
> I endorse this advice and concur with it's positive tone.  Your array
> should be fine, Alex.

You guys are really great.  I am back running again.  Thank you
for taking the time to help me out.  It saved me a LOT of time
trying to chase down what I needed to do, and most importantly
you gave me the confidence to proceed with only a modest level
of anxiety...  The hardest thing was creating a new systemd
service to run the script at boot time (also a first for me).

> Buy NAS drives in the future, though.

Hey, they were never going to fail!  RAID solves all problems.

But yeah, I'll look more closely at that next time.

Thanks again.

					-Alex