Re: RAID6: Reducing to Grow

On 10/20/2017 01:04 AM, Liwei wrote:

>> Note that all of the above can be executed while using your mounted
>> LV.
>>
>> Phil
>
> Great! I'm done with the scrub, now waiting for the new drives to
> arrive.
>
> I anticipate there'll be quite a bit of downtime involved though.
> Our chassis only has 16 cages, so we probably have to temporarily
> move one or two of the 2TB drives onto the internal SATA connectors
> and hang them around. Power might be an issue too, but we'll figure
> it out, hopefully without frying any drives. ;)
>
> My guess is I should probably scrub again after relocating the
> drives, just to be sure they work under load.

Good insurance, yes.

> Regarding the chunk size, my predecessor initially chose 512k based
> on some reading about performance boost with raw video files and
> 4k/AF drives, not sure whether it holds water. Something along the
> lines of: we're dealing with multi gigabyte files anyway, what's
> wastage of half a meg here and there? Supposedly RW performance
> increases with chunk size - provided they're properly aligned, but it
> is a diminishing return.
>
> We're using this NAS to ingest the raw video files from our HD and
> 4K cameras so they can be accessed remotely for editing, does 512k
> chunk size make sense or should I go down to 16/32k?

No, your use calls for the large chunk.  That large chunk could hurt
more random tasks that involve files that aren't much larger than a
stripe.  Your stripes will be 2MB to start, then a bit bigger as you
grow the space.  Gig+ files are much bigger, so no worries.  If your
application was mostly ~10MB files or smaller, or had random access
patterns within the files, I'd reconsider.

> Thank you for the assistance so far!

No problem.  I like the easy ones... (-:

Phil