Re: MDADM RAID 6 Bad Superblock after reboot

On October 19, 2017 3:58:48 AM PDT, Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Okay. First thing I'd try is temporarily get rid of mdadm.conf. You
>don't actually need it. Then do "mdadm --stop /dev/md0" followed by
>"mdadm --assemble --scan".

Ok, so doing the stop, then assemble scan gets me :

/Dev/MD/0 assembled from 5 drives - not enough to start the array.
No arrays found in config file or automatically.

This was after moving the mdadm.conf temporarily.

>If that doesn't work, then try assembling the array explicitly, ie
>listing all the drives. I can't remember whether order is important -
>so
>long as you don't specify --force it'll either work or fail, it won't
>do
>any damage.

Looks like it's failed.  I ran:

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/[abcde]1 /dev/sd[fgh]

Due to having to use a cell phone to respond I didn't type everything out here, but that's the idea. Running that, I got:

No superblock find on sdf expected magic a92b4efc, got 00000000
No raid superblock on sdf
Sdf has no superblock assembly aborted

This is where I've been stuck. I read a post a couple nights ago about zeroing the superblock on the drives that report no superblock, but it seems they are already zeroed? My lack of experience here isn't helping.