Re: USB chasis fails, fate of the software raid?

Hi David,

Op 18/10/2017 om 21:04 schreef dfc:
I have an Orico (3559SUSJ3) external 5 bay
hard disk drive enclosure attached via
USB to my desktop computer.
USB is indeed not the best choice.

It holds 5 * 4 TB disks in raid5 and
has functioned for a couple of years.
<snip>
My main question is whether inserting
the 5 disks into another JBOD chasis
is likely to work?
Yes, this should work. With a little luck you would not even need to force it, as with a component failure all disks should have lost connection at the same time. The biggest risk is that the failure caused spikes before final death, causing damage on the HDD. But without knowing the actual failure that is pure conjecture. You could test each disk separately -- as long as you only read from them. Only reading is to ensure that no changes are done that make later re-build of the raid difficult.
In particular is
mdadm "smart enough" to find all
the components and/or do I need to do
something to help it along? In fact,
our IT person has suggested that the
data may well be lost.
Your IT person apparently either thinks the HW failure caused extensive damage, or wants you to do something different, or... is not very knowledgeable about this type of setup.

<snip>
Also, since I first used the JBOD with software
raid I came to realize that the usb connection
is not a good choice (though I have never had
problems). What sort of connection (at the low
price end of the market for HDD enclosures)
would be better? eSata or something else?
eSATA would work. But depends on the type of enclusure you can get. I leave that to people based in USA, who know what is available there.

Cheers

Rudy