Raid5/6 journal vs write intent bitmap

I added a write journal to an exiting array that had a write intent bitmap. I recall that the bitmap should have been removed automatically when I added the journal but I can't find any references to that. The WI bitmap was not removed automatically. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Since the array now has a write journal, is it safe to assume that the WI bitmap can be removed? I assume that the journal eliminates the need for a re-sync after an unclean shutdown since it will replay in-flight transactions in order to bring the array back to a consistent state.

--Larkin